Sunday 21 April 2013

Backpacker's backpack

Now that I have caught the travel bug, I thought it would be a good idea to purchase my own Backpacking backpack for this trip, and for future trips (Machu Picchu next year anyone?). I was looking at bags in the $150-200 range and headed to Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) to check out some bags. The employee there showed me a few bags and said he always recommended the Deuter Futura Vario 50+10 bag; however it was on the higher end of my budget at $200 so I kept looking and eventually headed across the street to Europe Bound. They actually had the same bag there listed for $175 and for some reason I thought MEC had it for $230, so I thought it was a great deal! Anyway I decided to get it anyway as I saved $20 and it was a pretty good bag and looked good too lol.


The bag is a 50L bag (50 + 10L) with three access areas (Top, front and bottom) to the main compartment which is key so that you do not have to take everything out to get something from the bottom. The bottom can also become a separate compartment by zipping it off. Not sure if actually fits 50L as it doesnt seem to expand that much and my bag is full with what I think is not a lot of clothes and toiletries.

The bag seemed pretty comfortable and has a great back ventilation system with the aluminum poles and mesh to keep it off your back. We will see how it feels traveling around Thailand.

Posted by Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment